Kate and I arrived in the classroom ten minutes early and realized the room was freezing. I told her I had brought a sweatshirt to campus and had a drawer sweater I could run to my office and grab. When I got back I gave Kate the sweatshirt (because it matched her attire better) and I put on the drawer sweater. After a few minutes Dr. Platt arrived and we chatted for a few minutes. She indicated Peter had a class before this one so we would wait a few more minutes. She handed Kate and I a copy of the syllabus. She realized she needed her computer so she said she would be right back and went to her office. Kate then wondered if we needed our computers so she decided to run to her office to get her computer. Dr. Platt came back and said “oh no, we have lost one already” and made a reference to how it is not a good sign when after you had out the syllabus and leave the room half the class is missing when you come back.
After Kate returned we decided to start without Peter. The first thing we discussed was the time of the class and Dr. Platt asked us to email her other times that worked for each of us just incase we could move the time since we are scheduled to meet so late. Dr. Platt then proceeded to tell us a little bit about herself, her background, and her research interest. I found her thesis topic about pro eating disorder websites very interesting since I had never heard of such a thing. It also reminded me about an SDSU friend of mine (Holly) who survived an eating disorder and wrote her thesis about magazine ads and the messages they send which encourage young girls to be super thin. She is currently passionate about helping others with eating disorders. Soon Peter arrived and we were asked to introduce ourselves touching on four questions which were what year you are in the program, what research interest you have, what experience you have, and what you hope to get out of the class.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment