Becky and I arrived in the classroom at approximately 7:25 p.m. because we “wanted to be good students on the first day of class.” When we got into the classroom there was a cool breeze and we looked around to see where it was coming from. There is a window in the classroom but it was closed and then we heard the air blowing from the vent on the ceiling. We sat down in the desks in the middle of the room, front row and moved them so we were somewhat facing each other. I started eating my supper of Pea Salad and cucumbers and carrots with ranch dressing. I then told Becky she was welcome to have some vegetables and that the ranch dressing was South Beach Diet so it was healthy in comparison to “other ranch dressings.” Becky and I then started talking to each other about how we hoped the classroom hadn’t changed because I always worry about that. Becky said she checked her email earlier and hadn’t heard anything so she thought we would be fine. After talking and eating some vegetables, both of us became very cold and Becky mentioned she had some sweatshirts in her office. She left to grab them and we both put one on.
Just a few minutes later, Dr. Platt came into the room and was exciting to see that more than half the class was there! She mentioned that one more, Peter, was also on the roster, and was ikely to be joining us but he had another class. I then asked if I was on the roster because I couldn’t register for the class because I had already taken in from Dr. Littlefield last year. Dr. Platt said I was on the roster and I mentioned that Kelly must have worked some magic and registered me in the class. We then had a brief conversation about how Becky was able to register but I wasn’t and how we will likely have to fudge the course number on our transcripts to get proper credit for taking the course. Dr. Platt handed out the syllabus and Becky and I started looking through them. While we were reading through the beginning pages of the syllabus, Dr. Platt noticed there was no computer in the classroom and mentioned she was going to go up to her office and grab her computer. When she did this, I decided I might need mine for a portion of the class so I left Becky in the classroom alone and went to get my computer in my office. When I returned Becky said “She thought we had lost you” and Dr. Platt joked that it is not a good sign when you hand out the syllabus, leave, and then come back with half of the class gone. I assured them I was just getting my computer.
We began talking about the course and the possibility of moving the class time to another 2 and a half hour time slot that would be more convenient. Dr. Platt asked us to email her our availability and we tabled the discussion to move on to the description of the course.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment